Follow by Email

Friday, September 19, 2014

Tipping Things Over Again...

"Elegance is the Only Beauty That Never Fades" ~Audrey Hepburn


Last week I passed on a tip for a more natural yet effective, DIY eye makeup remover that I recently found; this week I have two more tips to pass on, also more natural and DIY.

The first goodie again uses Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel, which like I said last week, is the only one I've been able to find so far that has no alcohol. All the drug store brands I came across have alcohol in them- read the ingredients list before buying. You don't want alcohol in any skin care product. Or I don't, anyway.

Again, equal parts witch hazel and raw, organic apple cider vinegar- this makes a wonderful toner. I use it at night after washing, and I don't use any moisturizer afterwards as I've read in more than one place that you just don't need it. It felt very, very strange the first time I tried this, but I quickly got used to it, and my skin seems happy. I like this better than any toner I've used. 

The next tip I have is for a hair oil I use pretty much every time I wash my hair- I put it on the night before if I remember, if not then about an hour before I have my shower. I usually only put it on the ends and where my hair seems dry- and I drench the areas that are the driest.

4 parts broccoli seed oil (for shine)
1 part rice bran oil (for softness)
1 part jojoba oil (most like human skin oil)
1 part Morrocan oil (holds moisture in the hair)
And anything else you'd like to add...

I was able to find all these oils online- most of the best deals were on eBay. The only one I had to spend a little more serious money on was the broccoli seed oil- I bought a larger bottle- which is fine, I just keep it in the fridge. In fact, I just make up a small bottle as I need it, and keep all the oils in the fridge so they don't go rancid on me. And BTW- the shampoo I'm using is the Whole Foods brand shampoo, no sulphates or sulphites- and it's about $5 a bottle. Also keep in mind both these recipes can be adjusted to your needs and preferences.

So there you have my current favorite beauty 'products.' I'm no longer using my expensive skin and hair care products. No more $75 bottles of hair cleanser, no more $80 'anti-aging' alpha hydroxy pads. No more $60 on skin exfoliating kits…don't get me wrong- these products are good. That's why I used them. But I've found chemical free, DIY versions that cost a fraction. 

I don't need them anymore. I'm happy, and so is my bank account. :-)


Happy Dressing!