Follow by Email

Friday, September 12, 2014

Easy on the Eyes


“For the love of God, unless you’re prepping for Rigoletto at the Met, go easy on the eyeliner.” 
~ Cheryl Cory

Last week I needed to get some eye makeup remover, but it just wasn't gonna happen then. (Single mom thing.) So instead I looked online to see if I could find a good, chemical free, DIY version. I found one, it's uber-easy, and I had the ingredients at home. One part olive oil, one part alcohol-free witch hazel. 

I did not have high expectations here. I expected it to sting and be annoyingly oily; amazingly enough, turns out it does/is neither. I think maybe the reason it doesn't sting is that I used alcohol-free witch hazel. If you read the ingredients list on the witch hazel brands carried at the drugstore you may find as I did that they all contain alcohol. Not something I want on my skin, let alone in my eyes. The only alcohol-free brand I've found so far is the Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel, which I found at Whole Foods. As for why it's not oily? I guess the witch hazel cuts the oil enough-? I can't say I care why it works- just very happy it does. 

I do have to say that I don't use waterproof eye makeup as I find I end up yanking out all my eyelashes when trying to get it off; so I don't know if this will work with waterproof makeup. With non-waterproof makeup I find it works every bit as well and, surprisingly enough, actually leaves my eyes feeling better than after using commercially made makeup remover. In fact, I've used commercially made eye makeup removers that burned my eyes, or left an oily residue. Again, this one did neither. Probably costs 1/10 as much, too.

So not only does it not have any really scary chemicals in it, but it works well, and in some cases better, than the commercially made stuff, and costs a fraction of the cost. What's not to love?

Happy Dressing!