Follow by Email

Friday, August 15, 2014

So Bored...


"Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart." ~ Wolfgang Puck


This past weekend I sewed some pillows. As usual, I made cording for my pillows, and again as usual, this time I used a contrasting fabric. But unlike what I usually do, both the fabrics were patterned- there's that pattern mixing that I love. I went to Japan a few years back and I was struck by the way they mix pattern and color- we're very restrained by comparison. They'll mix anything they feel like- and it's really interesting, often quite beautiful. I've been hooked on the idea ever since.

As seems to be my standard pattern in the fall, I'm feeling a little bored with my wardrobe. I really felt kinda bored with things last fall, too, so I pared down and used a different approach- I decided my wardrobe would revolve around black; this sort of worked. But now I'm feeling the need for fresh blood in my wardrobe. I need new stuff to get excited about. 

Then I remembered my post week before last about the women who take thrift shop finds and repurpose them into entirely new garments; this could work well for me now, as my current clothing budget is..well…nonexistent. I can carve out $10 or $20 here and there for an item or three from a thrift shop. I'd be more than happy to put a little work into it and have one of a kind goodies. 

I started yesterday- went to one of my favorite thrift shops. All I found was 2 t-shirts...and a great wooden wall hanging.  Sometimes that's how it goes- you find nothing that you're looking for, and everything that you're NOT looking for. But you have to buy it because it's at a price you'd never EVER get otherwise, and it'll be gone if you wait a day. Then one day you find everything you need, all in your size... So I'll have to condition myself to start making weekly foraging trips to my favorite thrift shops. 

I must say, before the recession there was a lot more to chose from at all my thrift shops. Such is life, right? So not only do I have less moola to fund my wardrobe, there's less out there. Again, this is where the need for some serious creativity comes in.

Anyway,  if I'm willing to do some repurposing, do a bit of work, I can put unexpected things together and can mix patterns to my hearts content…..

Happy Dressing!