Follow by Email

Friday, July 25, 2014

The Boring Truth

"I was going to have cosmetic surgery until I noticed that the doctor's office was full of portraits by Picasso" ~Rita Rudner

Last week the outside world sort of poked into my little, hermetic bubble of a world. In a lovely sort of way, that is.  I was interviewed by Marc Tyler Nobleman for his series The Girl in the Video 2: MORE original interviews with icons of 1980s MTV about the MTV video I'd done in 1984 with Night Ranger for their song called Sister Christian, and the interview was posted Monday the 14th. Yahoo Music even did a little article about yours truly, which generated some 650 comments. Some of the comments focused on how I look now. (When I did the interview I didn't think about the fact that I was announcing EXACTLY how old I am. Ta-daaa!!) Most comments were very nice, some were funny, and a few suggested I'd had plastic surgery (I've not) or that my photos are 'air brushed' (they're not.) A few others suggested the 'new' photos aren't recent- the one with me in the strapless black dress, pink pearl earrings and the purple background was taken and posted the Saturday before the interview was posted. Those are my most recent photos. :-)

I was born with a genetic skin disorder and during adolescence found that I can almost control it using diet. So I learned early that it pays to be careful about food; to avoid sugar, coffee, soda, alcohol, white flour and processed foods in general. When I've gone off this diet my skin always becomes a serious problem. And even though my motivation wasn't about how it would affect how I age, it did. In college I developed a lifelong love of running. I've stopped running at times, sometimes for long periods, and my health has always suffered when I have. As I age I'm finding I have less leeway with all of these things; when I go off the proper diet I pay a heavier price and for longer than when I was younger. When I don't exercise it affects me more- my mood is not as good, I don't sleep as well, and my immune system gets weaker. As I get older I notice that it's of primary importance that I take care of my immune system and allow adequate time for sleep- if these two variables aren't in place, nothing else works right. So, if I look 'better than my age' now you know why. 

Also…let's not forget a couple of important points here- I am an image consultant, so I know what colors and clothing design lines flatter me. I'm also a makeup artist, so I not only know which colors and cosmetics to use, I also know how to apply them to best advantage. I also did a (very) little bit of modeling when I was younger, so I know a little about how to 'vogue' for the camera. You can always hire an image consultant and a makeup artist, and look your absolute best, too. For photos and every day.

Of course, truth is that if you haven't been working out regularly and eating well, and you DO start doing the 'right' stuff, you're bound to look better. You don't have to run marathons, either. Whatever your Dr says you can/should do should be the goal. It may take some time, but in the meantime, more important things may start happening- better digestion, better sleep, improved mood, reduction or perhaps even elimination of joint pain, better ability to focus....by the time your skin takes on a rosier hue and your eyes get clearer and a bit of a sparkle in them, you'll realize that's really less important than how much better you're feeling. As far as I'm concerned, when you're healthier and happier, you're bound to look your best. 

So there ya have it. There's no magical secret- ya just gotta put in the time on a regular basis, and think about your long term priorities when confronted with those edible temptations...

Happy Dressing!