Follow by Email

Friday, June 27, 2014

Get Naked!

"My wife was afraid of the dark... then she saw me naked and now she's afraid of the light."~ Rodney Dangerfield


Ah, the ever glamourous, iconic, nude lip.  

Some of us love them, some of us look absolutely awful in them (if we don't know how to do them, that is.) I love the concept of nude lipstick, but when I first tried a nude lipstick for myself, I looked hideous. Plain old dead. Call me fussy, but I don't put on makeup to look dead. 

But being a makeup artist, I need to be able to do a nude lip on everyone who sits in my chair as there are only so many options with makeup- light eye and light lips, light eye and dark lips, dark eye and light lips, and dark eye with dark lips. Sometimes that light lip just needs to be a nude. 

So it's good that there's a very effective method to finding a nude lip that works for everyone, and it's surprisingly simple. Just apply your regular foundation on your lips. If you look good, then you can wear a true, beige-y nude color. If you, like me, look like a cadaver when you put foundation on your lips, then you have to cheat your nude a bit, and instead wear a nearly nude pink, nearly nude peach or nearly nude caramel-ish color. There. That's the biggest secret to the nude lip. 

There's another essential for success with a nude lip- a lip pencil. That's because you really don't want it to blend in completely with your skin tone- you want a little differentiation between your lip and your skin. A mostly nude lip pencil will do this for you. You can refine the shape of your lips as well as defining them.  You may have to be quite fussy finding this pencil- it can't be too dark or you'll defeat the whole purpose of the nude lip. My lips are naturally pretty dark, and I've found that my best nude lip liner is a little lighter than the edges of my lips- with this pencil I still get the definition I need, and also a true nude lip. It's closer to the color of my nude lipstick than my lips.

If you find yourself  flummoxed by the whole idea but would like to ease your way into it, or if you just love makeup, here are some links:





Happy Dressing!