Follow by Email

Friday, June 13, 2014

A Rocky Start


“An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.”~ Henry David Thoreau

My son has been watching the Rocky movies for a couple of months now. I got him started- I like Rocky. He got all into the idea of working out the way Rocky does- really loved the running-up-the-Philly-Art-Museum-steps scene, of course.  I run 5 or 6 times a week, but my 'run' is more of a 'plod' -nothing like Rocky's. I am consistent about it, though. A few weeks before school ended he told me he wants to go running with me- Ok, I say, this summer we'll give it a try. 

He's only 9, so you can imagine how this went. On the first part it was 'Ha ha mommy- I'm faster than you!' then later 'mommy- slow down.' By then end of the run he wasn't speaking to me anymore because I wouldn't stop when he wanted. I'd guess that if he kept at it for a while he'd be passing me up in a matter of weeks. No rush- he works out doing his karate and nunchucks every weekday. That's good enough.  I'm glad I've got him on the right track, though. I'm hoping this will influence him for the rest of his life. If he stays active he'll have better health all his life, a better mood, and he'll be more attractive. He'll have better quality of life, and will probably live longer, too.

Speaking of being attractive, this being a blog about self image and all… as I'm always saying, attractiveness isn't about size, or certain facial features, coloring, or anything like that. At all. Attractiveness is the 'it' factor that's a mysterious combination of self confidence and a sort of vitality. I think that vitality is all about good health. I always say if you want to look your best, you have to be healthy. And that means, in part, regular exercise. 

Summer is here- the perfect time to start working out if you aren't already. Doesn't have to be fancy- just has to happen on a regular basis. Doesn't matter if you start out just shuffling around the block- so long as you do it as many times in a week as you can (or as often as your Dr tells you to.) They say it takes 3 weeks to establish a routine; if you can manage to keep it up for that long, it should be smooth sailing from there on out. If your energy level is a problem, take a look at what you're eating- sometimes that has to be addressed before a person has the energy to work out regularly. I found that my energy level went up quite a bit when I started running- and I also had to start eating more, and eating more regularly. 

There are a number of recent reputable studies out (google it) about how working out boosts the immune system. Though it's not fully understood exactly how this works, it's clear there's a connection. 

So get out there while the days are long and warm, and get moving! Everything about life gets better when you do.

Happy Dressing!