Follow by Email

Friday, May 16, 2014

Caught!


"If something can be said to make an awkward moment even worse, I'm going to say it."~Carrie Underwood

I got caught in an awkward situation the other morning. My son was going to a friends pet rescue/pet supply store to be in a segment a local news channel was doing on them- I got up at my usual time, went for my run, got my son's lunch ready, made our breakfast and as we were out of time, we headed out the door.  

The problem is, I didn't think it through the night before; I laid out clothes to wear, but didn't realize I wouldn't have enough time to shower and wash my hair. When I went for my run I pulled my un-brushed hair into a pony tail…so this is how I arrived for the news segment- sweaty running duds, not-showered and wild, flyaway hair, no makeup. At all. (Oh, the horror.) 

You know where this is going, right?

They were doing a few segments; the first segment I managed to hide in the back. All good. The next segment they filmed at the counter- so I slunk over to the pen where the puppies were and settled in with a couple of sleeping pups on my lap. 

As I should have known would happen, during the filming the camera man came over to the puppy pen, and despite my hiding in the corner, I was confronted with the camera. I saw the footage later, and of course it was worse than I imagined. *Sigh* 

The moral of this sorry little story? Always think through your schedule when planning a day with an unusual schedule like this- and have a backup plan. Actually, one should always have a backup plan anyway. I should have realized the potential there, and combed my hair, washed my face and put on a little lipgloss- would have made us 3 minutes later, at the most. 

Why am I making such a big deal about this? What if this had been a situation where I happened to meet someone who might have been important to my business? What if I met a cute guy? You just never know. The thing is, in the first 7 seconds of meeting someone we make all sorts of assumptions about people subconsciously, based on their appearance. And it may be that none of the assumptions are true…so it always, always pays to be aware of your appearance…

Remember, you never get a second chance to make that first impression.

Happy Dressing!