Follow by Email

Friday, March 7, 2014

A Paradigm of Kindess


"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama

The Oscars were on last weekend. I've always found awards shows boring. There. I said it. And I know that there'll be a billion trillion pictures of all the pretty dresses all over the media for the next 3 weeks, so it's not like I'm going to miss anything. I also know in the following days there'll be a lot of unpleasant and  nasty comments about how people looked. Which I see no point in.

Certain garments or ways of dressing have a sort of universal connotation- when a woman shows a lot of skin, it's often considered intentionally 'provocative' or intended to signal a 'sexual' or perhaps 'sensual' message.  If she wears certain jewelry and brand name clothes and accessories she might be broadcasting a 'status' message, and so on. These things may or may not be something that appeals to me or be something that I'm interested in wearing myself. But even if it's something that I'd never feel comfortable wearing, there's no point in saying negative things about it. In fact, I prefer to champion the individual aesthetic. I enjoy trying to see things through the eyes of someone with a totally different sense of beauty than mine. To simply appreciate the variety we all display validates us all- and to badmouth other's aesthetic validates their right to criticize your choices, too. And what's the point in going there? Maybe I think I'll feel better because I've demonstrated evidence of my 'good taste' in comparison to some clearly 'bad' taste, when in reality I've just demonstrated my poor judgment and character by attempting to build myself up by tearing down another.

And that's a really ugly kind of bad taste.

Happy Dressing!