Follow by Email

Friday, October 18, 2013

Dry Water


"When you drink the water, remember the spring."~Chinese Proverb
I have dry skin.  I have a genetic skin disorder that predisposes me to very dry skin, so anything I can do to alleviate this is a plus in my world. I've recently made an interesting discovery regarding this and I thought I'd share. Maybe it's news to you, maybe not. 

For some reason or other, a few weeks ago I started reading about drinking water and what is and isn't safe- this sorta segued into reading about the safety of the water we shower and bathe in. Turns out that lots of people say (and it seems logical) that our skin absorbs the chlorine and/or chloramine that's in our water supply when we shower or bathe. I read that the lungs absorb formaldehyde via the steam in a hot shower, as well. Lots of people also said that the chemicals we absorb via showers and baths are more damaging than when we drink that very same water. This doesn't seem nearly as logical to me, but an awful lot of people are saying it. An awful lot. 

For me, not treating our water with these chemicals conjures up images of dealing with lots of nasty 3rd world diseases, so until a better alternative is presented, I guess I'd rather deal with this on my end- via a water filter for my shower. 

I have the dubious distinction of being a renter, so a filtration system for my entire water supply really isn't a practical option. I read about what's called a vitamin c shower filter- the story is that vitamin c added to shower or bath water neutralizes chlorine and chloramine- unfortunately, the only way to remove the fluoride that I can see is one of the fancy filtration systems that just wouldn't be practical or maybe even possible as a renter.  And, you ask, what about baths? Just shuffle down to your local Trader Joe's (or local health food store) and buy a bottle of vitamin C crystals ($11 at Trader Joe's) and add a tiny amount to your bath and voila- your bath water is treated. As for the vitamin c filter for your shower- it's about $22 for a filter on Amazon.com, and this should theoretically last about a year. I assume that's for one person showering once a day- but don't quote me on that.


So I decided considering my skin issues, this was worth a try. It arrived and I installed it- I felt a difference the very first time I showered. I didn't realize that as a rule, for about 2 hours after a shower I'm usually subject to some pretty unpleasant itchy skin and general discomfort. This has almost completely stopped.  My skin isn't perfectly comfortable, but it's been less than a week, and it is does seem somewhat cumulative, so maybe there's more improvement to come. 

Not bad for a $22 investment. :-)

Happy Dressing!