Follow by Email

Friday, September 13, 2013

All Mixed Up


"I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed." ~Robert Frost

This fall pattern mixing is back 'in.' I love mixing patterns. It's always visually interesting and a real opportunity for completely individual self expression.  

There's a little bit of an art to pattern mixing- Pairing two patterns that have similar intensity in color usually works. Or you can sometimes successfully pair two patterns that have one distinctive characteristic, such as the same exact color, or same type of pattern. Similar scale sometimes plays a role, sometimes not. The theme here is that the patterns need to visually relate to one another- somehow. Because there are so many ways to mix you can always find new ways to make things relate. Below are a few examples I found.  





I love Japanese 'street fashion,' and one thing they tend towards is pattern mixing. 



I hope you enjoy this as much as I do- 

Happy Dressing!