Follow by Email

Friday, September 27, 2013

Adventures In Fashion


"Adventure is just bad planning." ~ Roald Amundsen

I'm always talking about what a great idea it is to treat fashion like a smorgasbord to choose from- find stuff that fits in with your style, your personal aesthetic, and buy the less 'trendy' pieces when they're in fashion, and wear them your way, indefinitely.  Since I can't seem to shut up about all this glorious pattern mixing thing that's caught fire in the fashion world, I think it's time to follow my own advice, right? Of course I have no money to speak of right now, so this makes it a tad more difficult. So a plan is forming in my fertile, fevered little mind. 

I found a spot in my apartment where I can have a full on 'inspiration' board. This is quite an accomplishment for me; being a painter, I have more than a few paintings, and this apartment is the kind of funky little place that has an abundance of windows, so every available bit of wall space has a painting on it. I even have a painting hanging on a bookcase. But I nonetheless found a little space on the front of the linen closet in the hallway where I can put some cork board and start amassing pictures. I like Pinterest, but I want a more permanent collection for this. When the pattern mixing trend started it's full swing I saw a plethora of photos out there, and as I'm considering making this a more prominent part of my individual style and wardrobe, I think it warrants a more serious, permanent visual record of exactly what I like.  So I'll print out the best quality pics of the stuff that I love, tear pics out of magazines, etc, and over time edit out the less desirable stuff. This way I can take my time to decide exactly how I want to go about this. 

Another other part of this little plan of mine is to shop for stuff that I love when it's on sale- which, so far, I've not seen happening yet. Granted, I don't do a lot of shopping, but I don't think the 'fall' stuff has gone on sale yet. I need to familiarize myself with what's out there so that I can decide what I want to go for when it does go on sale. This will also give me the time to figure out how to come up with the money for any potential purchases. (Good thing I'm a creative person. )

And I'm not going to forget my beloved thrift/consignment shops, either. If I've found something I adore, must have, but it's too expensive, I can go looking for alternatives at said shops- and be open to finding other solutions, too. And I can be open to finding great prints to 're-purpose' via my sewing machine as well. If I love it enough, and can't afford it, I can even make my own version. Yes, I like this whole pattern mixing thing THAT much.

So there you have it. This is what I mean when I talk about the buffet that is the world of fashion, and how to 'work it' for your own purposes.  

Happy Dressing!