Follow by Email

Friday, June 7, 2013

Prepping for Battle

In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.~Dwight D. Eisenhower


Summer is here, and I'm starting to make plans for what I'd like to accomplish over the season. It's high time I went through my closet and organized, so that's one of the bigger goodies on this list. (I'll also have to plan a reward for myself for after I'm done. Will probably need to involve alcohol and/or shopping in order to motivate me properly. The satisfaction of a job well done just won't cut it here.) (Hence the above quote about preparing for battle.)

While researching this I came across a website that I thought might be of interest to others- http://shop.wardrobe911.com/product-info.php?pid10_html=/asc_action=SetCurrentProduct/prod_id=10  This site has lots of fun stuff to buy- everything from wardrobe planners to podcasts and 'body type kits'- what looks like a pretty involved explanation of what works for- well, each body type. Of course this is a generalized approach and therefore doesn't take into account your specific proportions- for that, you can always hire me. :-) She also has what she calls 'shopping companions'- with either a warm palette or cool palette. Again, this is generalized- but all this info is fine if you're not interested in going into too much depth on the subject. The 'style planner' has pictures of actual clothes- I assume you'd have to take pictures yourself of your own clothes and glue them in-? Not sure about that part. I'm intrigued, nonetheless. Prices for individual items range from minimal to rather expensive. 

But the thing that first caught my eye was the outfit planning cards. I'm always going on about how everybody can look their best every day if they just take a few minutes the night before and plan out what they want to wear the next day, thus avoiding having to work this out while being in the throes of morning brain-fog-rush mode. Well, if you're like me and like old-fashioned, low-tech paper solutions, here's an easy way to plan it out; and there's the advantage of being able to save a particularly nice combination by saving that card, and you'll also know the last time you wore it by the date on it.  You can also plan out what makeup to wear as well, if you do that sort of thing.

You have options on how to use them, too- you can plan out each outfit the night before, or you could plan the whole week in advance. (Another website I saw advocates having a place to hang your entire outfits/accessories for the week- interesting idea.) If you're packing for a trip you can organize the entire trip in advance. Planning in advance gives you the chance to be sure the clothes and accessories are in good repair before you need them, too. That's a way to avoid some potentially nasty surprises. Don't want to be thinking you'll wear that special suit to that terribly important meeting only to find that the only shoes that work with said suit are out for repairs.  

Anyway, if you're not the sort to make your own wardrobe planning system, these outfit planning cards may be just the thing for you. And if you make it a habit to take the time to plan out what you're going to wear you're more likely to closer to 100% of your wardrobe rather than the usual 10%, too.  But you may need tools like these to help you get there. 

This could be the start of a beautiful friendship….between you and your wardrobe.

Happy Dressing!