Follow by Email

Friday, June 28, 2013

Nailed It


"I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink." ~Audrey Hepburn

I've never been able to wear nail polish on my fingernails. Never. This has always made me unhappy. I can wear it on my toenails, no problem. But whenever I try it on my fingernails first the polish chips, then starts to peel, then the nails themselves chip and peel. When I go to take it off, my nails are also horribly dried out and I know from past experience that it'll take weeks for all this damage to grow out. So several years ago I simply gave up conventional polish. Completely.

Of course, on some shopping channel, or beauty store, there's always some new, fantabulous formula, GUARANATEED to make any nails grow and look beautiful- and I fall for it. I buy the new magical elixir and of course it never, never works. But I keep it. Takes me a good year to throw it out. Don't ask me why- I guess I just don't want to admit to myself that it's not working, and that leaving it in with my cosmetics isn't going to somehow, magically make it work. I never gave up hope.

Finally, FINALLY I've found a nail polish that I can wear on my nails. It's a 'natural' polish called Mineral Fusion (link below.) I've been wearing it now for a couple of months, so I'm quite sure about this. I put it on, it actually stays on my nails without chipping as much as conventional polish. That's right, it has more staying power than conventional polish- at least it does for me.  I cook every day, and seeing as how I don't have a maid I have pots and pans and dishes to wash. I'm not good at remembering to use my rubber gloves either, so my nails are exposed to harsh dish soap and water every single day. Yet they don't chip or peel, and when I take the Mineral Fusion polish off, my nails aren't chipped, or peeling, or dry. They're just fine. 

I did a little research and read that the chemicals in nail polish considered most likely to cause the kind of damage I experienced are formaldehyde (!) toluene and dibutyl phthalate. Mineral Fusion polish has none of those, and also doesn't have camphor. Maybe it's the toxic cocktail these ingredients make together, or maybe it's only one of these ingredients that cause all the problems for me- I don't know. I do know I feel better knowing I'm not putting that stuff on me anymore. And I can now wear nail polish. Sweet.

So now I own 8 colors- and growing. They have it all. Reds, oranges, pinks, purples, greens, blues- even yellow. Sheer, cream, glitter, metallic, opalescent, foil- I mean, they've got it ALL. (BTW- my experience with the 'foil finish' Rockin' Ruby is that it's matte. Maybe that's what 'foil finish' means-?) I'm a happy camper. I also like their acetone-free polish remover.  They're available at my local Whole Foods market- if they don't have a color I want, I can order it, no shipping charge. Or you can order from their site-

Mineral Fusion; Minerals on a mission

They have an entire line of natural cosmetics, skin and hair care too….uh-oh…..

Happy Shopping, and Happy Dressing!