Follow by Email

Friday, June 21, 2013

A Pretty Little Addiction


“An over-indulgence of anything, even something as pure as water, can intoxicate”~ Criss Jami 


In the last few months I've become a bit of an addict. First it was Pinterest. For a while it was nonstop pinning for me- it's sorta like shopping for free. The upside was I didn't have to pay for or find a place to store anything I 'bought'; the downside was that of course I didn't actually have the items. But then it could be argued that I don't always inhabit reality as much as others do, so maybe that's not so important.

Since Pinterest I've focused my addictive attentions on Youtube- specifically makeup tutorials, mostly by pro MUA (make up artists.) If you're not that comfortable with makeup this is a fabulous way to learn. Tutorials are the next best thing to having a MUA do your makeup for you- you get to see exactly what they're doing, how they're doing it, and listen to them explain every aspect of it. And you can watch it over as many times as you want. 

Wayne Goss is one I keep coming back to, partly just for the sheer volume of videos he produces, mostly for his clear, simple explanation of technique. http://www.youtube.com/user/gossmakeupartist  I've searched for books by Mr. Goss, but I couldn't find any. Another that I love is Robert Jones, also for producing prolifically. http://www.youtube.com/user/robertjonesbeauty  He has several books out.  Another great one is Pixiwoo- a lot of great, basic makeup techniques too.http://www.youtube.com/user/pixiwoo I adore Rae Morris, but she's not posted a whole lot of videos :-(  http://www.youtube.com/user/raemorrismakeup  One channel that's great for new trends and news in fashion as well as makeup is the 'daily mix.' http://www.youtube.com/user/DailyMixTV  There.That's enough to get you started. (I like to have company with my addictions.)

One thing I've noticed is that MUA constantly contradict one another- this technique is THE ONLY way to do this- everything else is crap. Often you'll see in their demonstration what they're talking about, and why. Yet another MUA will do it the 'crap' way, which of course according them is THE ONLY way to do it. The take away for me is that you pick and choose between all the techniques and find what works for you and fits in with whatever else you do. I think it's invaluable to see so clearly that there's no 'right' way of doing it. It's an art, and as such is totally subjective, and in the end it's only makeup, and you can wash it off it it doesn't work. In the process you learn tons, too. 

And with that, I'm off to look at reviews of makeup brushes on youtube….

Happy Dressing!