Follow by Email

Friday, April 26, 2013

No Nippy-Tucky, Thank You


"I've had so much plastic surgery that when I die they'll donate my body to Tupperwear." ~Joan Rivers

Facial massage has been practiced for thousands of years, all over the world in many different cultures. I've been doing a little research on it, and have read some pretty wild claims- in particular, I keep coming across the claim that it's just as effective as a face lift. I don't know about that yet, but I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.

Facial massage is routinely done during a facial for lots of reasons. It helps to improve circulation, which is great for your skin, obviously. It also stimulates the lymph system, which is one of the reasons you look good after a facial- stimulating the lymph system helps to clear the impurities from your skin, and thus also helps reduce puffiness. Of course any gentle massage helps you to relax, and improve your mood.  I also read that  it can help relieve sinus congestion from allergies, but as I don't have allergies I can't attest to this.

Whaddaya do if you really want to have all these wonderful things on a regular basis but can't afford a facial as often as this would require? How about learning DIY facial massage?  Yup. Free. Free is good. I love free. And you can slip the routine into your schedule anywhere it's convenient. 

So, just to get you started on your own little path of discovery,  here are a few of the websites I came across: 

These first two are by a massage therapist named Heather; as a massage therapist her approach is more from a health perspective. Very good, quick, and simple. The first is simple lymphatic massage for the face, the second is designed to replace botox. Hey- don't ask me! I'm just passing on the info here. 

MassageByHeather

This next one is my favorite. It's a very thorough tutorial of Japanese Zogan face conturing massage done by a rather startlingly chic woman in glasses and black fedora named Hisako Tanaka. Unfortunately the English translation version I found isn't the greatest quality, but the info is there. Though the tutorial spans 4 short youtube videos, the actual massage is only 3 minutes long. Not a huge time investment for the return. 

Part 1 is an explanation and demonstration of the massage; in part 2 a model begins the 'DIY' version. It's worth it to watch from the beginning, at least the first time.

Tanaka 'Zogan' Facial Massage

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

These were just 2 examples I came across. There's soooooo much more out there, as you can imagine. Have fun, and…

Happy Dressing!