Follow by Email

Friday, April 12, 2013

Look Ma, No 'Poo!



That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful. ~Ninon de L'Enclos 

Remember my blog from March 8, 'Cheap and…Fruity?' I was looking for a way to make my own hair oil rather than spend $50 on a tiny brand-name bottle, and I came across a wealth of info about not only making your own hair oils, but also face masks, hair masks, skin oils. I also came across a most interesting concept- 'no 'poo.'  I feel like I discovered a whole little world unto itself…

"No 'poo" means no shampoo. That's right- you don't use shampoo to wash your hair. Or conditioner, for that matter. Instead you use a tiny amount of baking soda dissolved in water to 'wash' your hair, and a little either apple cider or white vinegar mixed with water to 'condition.' The shampoo I was using, a sulphate free, combination shampoo and conditioner, was very expensive, and I had to wash my hair either every day, or if I skipped a day, which was a way of saving some $, I knew that my hair would be flat and lifeless that second day.  I read that with the no-poo method you only needed to wash every 3 days to once a week. And think how cheap baking soda and vinegar are- almost free, especially if you consider the tiny amounts you use and that you wash so infrequently. Part of the reasoning behind this method was that commercial shampoos and conditioners contain chemicals that are potentially harmful- things like endocrine disruptor's. Scary.  Not only that, but they say that washing your hair every day sets up an unhealthy, vicious cycle- you wash your hair, stripping it of it's natural oils, so your scalp then over produces oils to compensate, so you have to wash every day… 

So, let's see. It's cheap almost to the point of being free, and I don't have to wash my hair every day or even every other day. I have to admit, it sounded…well,…insane. But being me, with those pluses I couldn't resist trying it. I'm now a good month into it, and have no intention of going back to shampoo. 

Here are two links to sites about it- of course if you google it you'll find endless sites with more info. I find the comment sections to be a wealth of info based on others' experiences.



Here are a few points worth noting; everyone who talks about this method says there's a 'period of adjustment' that lasts from approximately 2 to 6 weeks, (depending on lots of variables) during which you may find you're scalp and hair are quite oily. There's also the fact that you'll need to play around with it to find the perfect recipe for you. If your hair gets too dried out, use less baking soda to water in the wash, and maybe more vinegar in the rinse. You may want to wash your hair once a week, or once every 3 days. You might try washing once a week, and doing just a vinegar rinse in the middle of the week. Or if you work out daily and you sweat a lot, you might want to just rinse with plain water after your workout. 

My experience has been quite the eye opener. Like I said before, I don't have to wash my hair every day because it doesn't go 'flat' like it did with the cleansing conditioner. Not just that, but I can curl my hair and for the first time in years, the curl not only takes, but stays- all day long. With the cleansing conditioner the curl just wouldn't take very well, and would fall out almost right away. I guess there was just too much 'stuff' on my hair. Also, my scalp feels 'clean' after I wash it- with regular shampoo my scalp would feel tight and dry; with the cleansing conditioner it was no longer tight or dry, but it had a sort of 'film' on it.  I also have way, way more body. And my hair is shiny. Very shiny. I'm still working on the perfect recipe for me, though. I need to wash more than once a week, or maybe rinse with either vinegar or just water once more during the week- not sure yet. I also made a hair balm, and need to perfect exactly how much and where in the process to use it.

Also- other options you might want to check out- 'wo' means 'water only' and 'co' means 'conditioner only.' Again, there are endless sites about these methods…

Happy Dressing!